In a special meeting at Calvary Baptist Church on February 9, 1955 the resolution was presented by the deacon board to purchase the former Church of Christ building located on the corner of Depot Street at Beechcroft Road in Spring Hill, Tennessee at the cost of $3,500. On April 15, 1955 the motion was made to organize a Baptist church in Spring Hill and to name the church “First Baptist Church of Spring Hill.”
With 53 charter members, First Baptist Church began services May 1, 1955 at the Church’s location on Depot Street. Reverend Floyd T. Carroll served as the Church’s first pastor from May 1, 1955 to September 30, 1956. Charter members still attending First Baptist Church include Mrs. Nina Bailey, Marvin Bailey, Linda Bailey Bland, Sara Waddey, Diane Waddey Williams, and Gail Waddey Thomason.
On April 1, 1981 the Church approved the purchase of four acres of land on the Nashville Highway from the Whitt family. Two years later, an additional acre was purchased in preparation for the Church’s move to this new location. In April of 1984 ground breaking ceremonies were held in construction began in May. The first service in the new First Baptist Church building was held March 3, 1985.
In 1996, the Church approved a recommendation from the Long-Range Planning Committee to have architects draw up a three phase plan for future growth requiring additional Sunday School and fellowship space and a new sanctuary. The church rejoiced with the new fellowship hall and Pre-School/Nursery wing in November 1998 when construction was completed for Phases I and II. In April 2000 the churched purchased the house and 6.3 acres that adjoin the church on the north side to allow for future growth. Phase III plans for future growth have not been finalized at this present time and are a matter of prayer for our church as God continues to bless us with growth.
In the sixty years of service to our Lord and Master, the Church has been served by the following succeeding Pastors:
- Rev. George Adams Oct 1, 1956 – Oct 31, 1957
- Rev. A. H. Stevenson Jan. 1958 – Jan. 31, 1960
- Rev. Milton Hicks Aug, 21, 1960 – Feb. 9, 1964 Bro. Milton was the first Minister to be ordained by FBCSH and served while attending Belmont College fulltime.
- Rev. Tildon Prior May 6, 1964 – July 5, 1964
- Rev. Tommy Foster Aug. 19, 1964 – Dec. 28, 1966
- Rev. Homer Kelly Nov. 12, 1967 – Mar. 15, 1987 During Bro. Homer’s leadership, the church built new facilities in our current location.
- Dr. Bill Harbison Interim May 6, 1987 – Nov. 21, 1987
- Rev. Amos Jarman Nov. 22, 1987 – Jan. 2, 2002 During Bro. Amos’s leadership, the church added on a new wing and brought adjoining property for future growth. After retiring, the church voted Bro. Amos Pastor Emeritus.
- Dr. David Daugherty Aug. 4, 2002 –Oct. 31, 2003
- Rev. Jerry Price Interim May 2004 - May 2005 Bro. Jerry and Sis. Trish have joined our fellowship and remain faithfully serving members of the kingdom work here.
- The church called our present Pastor Rev. J. C. Christian, Jr. who began his faithful service to our fellowship May 23, 2005 along side his gifted and lovely wife Patty.
The Church had grown sufficiently by 1988 to hire our first Bi-Vocational Minister of Music
- Steve Scott May 4, 1988 - June 1, 1998
- Bill Anderson April 1, 1999
- Nick Campbell
The Church continued to grow and hired its first full time Youth Minister in 1997.
- Rev. Steve Whitt June 1, 1997 - Mar. 15, 2000
- Rev. Jerry Jeter June 1, 2000 – Nov. 1, 2000
- Rev. Joey Marshall June 1, 2001 – Dec. 31, 2003 Bro. Joey entered full time Seminary in Memphis Jan. 1, 2004
- Rev. Adam Dorsey Oct. 2004 and entered full time Seminary in New Orleans June 2005
- Bro. Jason Hargrove Interim Part Time July 2005.
- Josh Howland
Our Pastor Bro. J has a vision for our people and the mission field of Spring Hill. His vision includes reaching our community with the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and seeing souls saved. As we grow it will be necessary that we enlarge our building, including a new worship center and educational space. This vision will be accomplished as we all commit ourselves to growing in our knowledge of Christ, going out to the community with the Gospel, and giving cheerfully to the Lord for His honor and glory!